Position closes on 19th May 2017
Brief description of duties.
• The arranging of all details of In-Pensioners funeral services in collaboration with varying Funeral Directors including the registration of all deaths of In-Pensioners.
• The editing, production & printing of the monthly Chapel Newsletter, to include the use of various publication/graphics based computer programmes such as Adobe In Design and Photoshop.
• Answering the telephone and proactively respond to queries including answer-phone messages.
• Attending meetings with representatives of other departments to ensure any potential de-confliction in Chapel service and event timings.
• Accurately maintain registers (Deaths, Baptisms & Marriages, including the Books of Remembrance) & the completion of Marriage & Baptism licences/certificates.
• The ordering of all Chapel supplies and stationery.
• Run the Chapel Office - in particular when the Chaplain is off duty on Fridays and when he is away on leave.
• Sacristan Duties, to include: the preparation of the altar for services, general Chapel tidiness, the filling of oil lamp candles, arranging for the laundering of Chapel linens and towels and undertaking all ironing associated with altar linens and vestments.
• Maintain the Register of Cremated Remains stored in the Chapel and make arrangements for Interment services with the families/executors concerned.
• Attend work for Sunday morning services on occasions in the year (up to 9) when the Chaplain is on leave/away on official duty, to host & support visiting clergy.
• Attend work for a number of agreed out of hours events to provide support to the Chaplain and to act as an authorised person; including engaging with the public & delegating tasks to In Pensioner Chapel staff. Events such as these would typically include weddings, carol services and the Remembrance Sunday service etc.
• Act as the financially delegated Manager, and use The Royal Hospital’s accounting system, Exchequer, for the following:
Oversee the Chaplaincy’s budget, and update the Forecast of Out-turn as appropriate.
Process all payments of monthly Chaplaincy related Choir Pay invoices.
• Oversee and manage the general duties of the In Pensioner Chapel staff.
• Act, in authority, on behalf of the Chaplain to oversee the security of the Chapel gold by being in possession of the code to the safe.
• General clerical support to include:
All written correspondence in the form of email and letter on behalf of The Chaplain.
The organisation of the Chaplain’s diary, the updating of any relevant services e.g. In Pensioners Funerals/Interments of Ashes, Carol Services, Weddings etc in the Royal Hospital’s Master Diary, and the regular checking of the Events Diary.
Arranging meetings (and where appropriate, any refreshments) on behalf of the Chaplain to deal with any relevant enquiries, in conjunction, where appropriate, with the availability of departmental and/or other members of staff at The Royal Hospital.
The use of the Internet, Email system, In Pensioners’ details database, Accounting system, LAN systems, the operation of photocopier (especially for bulk photocopying) and filing.
Desirable background, experience and attributes.
• Competent with computer processing (MS Office) and the use of Email and the Internet, and willing to develop such skills and usage. (As a guideline, typing speed should be about 50-55 wpm)
• Have a confident telephone manner, including the ability to deal sensitively with the recently bereaved.
• Have an appropriate appreciation of the importance of Christian ministry in the care of In-Pensioners and the life of the Royal Hospital Community.
• Understand the need for sensitivity and confidentiality.
• Be approachable – it is important that In-Pensioners feel able to talk to the Chapel Administrator who should understand the importance, at times, of just being a good listener.
Chelsea Pensioner and London Marathon veteran Fred shared his advice with charity duo.
The Royal Hospital Chelsea has staged an exhibition exploring the important role women have played throughout the 325 year history of the Chelsea Pensioners.