Position closes on 21st April 2017
The Friends Membership Officer is responsible for managing all elements of the Friends of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, our in-house membership scheme which currently encompasses 2,000 households across Britain and abroad. The post-holder will be confident in achieving ambitious annual income targets (6 figures), together with effective data handling, marketing, recruitment campaigns and event planning whilst striving to deliver the very highest standard of customer service,
The primary contact for all members, managing the day-to-day running of this established scheme and overseeing the financial administration of the programme, the Friends Membership Officer is responsible for all membership enquiries, renewals and processing new memberships as well as organising Friends’ events throughout the calendar year, ranging from carol services to lectures or external tours and day trips.
Working closely with the Fundraising Manager, the Friends Membership Officer will assume responsibility for the recruitment of new members and will work with other members of the fundraising team to ensure that all opportunities for voluntary income generation are realised.
The successful candidate will also strive to identify areas of the membership offering for improvement and to further develop the scheme whilst remaining sensitive to the aims and objectives of the Royal Hospital Chelsea’s core work.
This role would suit someone looking to establish a career trajectory in membership and/or events management, fundraising, marketing or communications.
• Act as the primary contact person for existing and new members and manage the day-to-day running of the Friends of the RHC membership scheme
• With guidance from the Fundraising Manager, identify, manage and deliver campaigns to recruit new members and retain existing Friends; including but not limited to print/digital adverting, e-communications, Direct Mail initiatives, member to member and face to face events
• With guidance from the Fundraising Manager, devise an annual Friends’ events programme (including tours, talks and special seasonal events) to generate additional revenue for the membership programme and oversee all event logistics (internal and external)
• Manage all volunteers in assisting with the annual membership events programme and mail outs
• Take ownership of the membership application, upgrade and renewal processes
• Oversee the upgrade and renewal processes for the Governor’s Circle patrons group, working closely with the Fundraising Manager
• Ensure the day-to-day financial management of the Friends is up to date and passed to the RHC’s finance department for processing in a timely, coherent fashion
• Work with members of the Fundraising and Communications Department and other departments within the RHC to identify opportunities to maximise membership recruitment and additional fundraising support opportunities
• Working closely with other members of the team, assist in identifying potential development opportunities for individual Friends
• Represent the RHC at external and internal events – acknowledging that some of these may be outside regular office hours
• With guidance from the Fundraising Manager, review the charity’s membership product offering on an annual basis, including pricing and benefits
• Compile monthly income reports and commentary for review by the Fundraising Manager against Key Performance Indicators
• Support the Fundraising Manager with the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports for the Friends Steering Group and the RHC Executive Board
• Maintain a watching brief on the charitable and commercial membership sectors
• With support from the Fundraising Manager and the Communications team, oversee all membership marketing materials and communications, and facilitate the introduction of e-communications to the membership base; devise new recruitment campaigns over the course of the calendar year
• Database management, data handling and analysis
Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
• Maintain the highest standards of ethical and personal practice, ensuring that the wishes and rights of the Chelsea Pensioners are always fully understood and protected
• Process purchase orders and invoices relating to the membership scheme, ensuring all expenditure is pre-authorised by the departmental budget holder
• Uphold and promote the Royal Hospital Chelsea’s ethical fundraising policy
• Provide support to other members of the fundraising team during busy periods (e.g. RHS Chelsea Flower Show, Remembrance, Christmas)
• Able to demonstrate strong communication skills, both written and oral, with excellent attention to detail
• Excellent customer service skills
• Able to demonstrate initiative, commitment and professional experience in a busy dynamic department
• Able to work to strict deadlines
• Proficient in the use of MS Office suite
• Able to work independently and as part of a team
• Team player
• High integrity
• A can-do attitude
• Previous experience with membership product offers
• Experience of events administration and organisation
• Experience of financial administration
• CRM database experience (thankQ or Raiser’s Edge), together with experience of data extraction, interrogation and analysis
The Royal Hospital Chelsea will be holding an exhibition exploring the important role women have played throughout the 325 year history of the Chelsea Pensioners.
The Chelsea Pensioners are celebrating the 325th anniversary of the opening of their historic home, the Royal Hospital Chelsea.