Volunteers play a vital part in providing a greater quality of life to the Chelsea Pensioners who live at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. From escorting them to hospital appointments, to giving painting or singing lessons, volunteers play an essential role in our community. We are currently looking for volunteers who can assist with the following activities:
The below roles would suit individuals who have a particular interest in enabling people with disabilities to enjoy activities, who have attended at least the equivalent of Dementia Friends training, and who have a positive attitude towards people living with dementia.
• Chapel Assistance – One volunteer required on a Wednesday afternoon (3pm – 4.30pm) to accompany our Chelsea Pensioners who wish to attend our weekly Chapel service in the afternoon. Ability to push wheelchairs is essential while some knowledge of Christian hymns and an interest in the Christian faith would be beneficial.
• Art & Craft – On Tuesday mornings (10am – 12pm), one creative individual is required to run a weekly art or craft-based sessions for individuals living with dementia and other cognitive impairments. The individual will deliver the session alongside an Activities Assistant. Experience of working with and a positive attitude to those living with dementia is required alongside patience and lots of creative ideas!
• Afternoon Coffee with Walk & Talk – One volunteer needed to support our group café trip and group walk around our Ranelagh Gardens with Pensioners living on our dementia ward on a Tuesday afternoon (2.30pm – 4.30pm), particularly over the summer months. An ability to push wheelchairs is essential while experience of working with people with dementia and complex needs is strongly desired. Experience of delivering wheelchair sports would also be beneficial. This role will be supervised by a professional care assistant/nurse/activities worker so volunteers will not be alone.
• Reminiscence Assistance – One volunteer needed to support the Dementia Specialist Activities Worker in delivering weekly group reminiscence sessions for Pensioners living with dementia. The sessions will run on Thursday afternoons (2.30pm – 4.30pm). The individual must be chatty and able to engage Pensioners, including those with complex needs, in remembering their youth and lives before the Royal Hospital. Experience of working with people with cognitive impairments is desired alongside lots of ideas.
• Gardening Assistance – One volunteer needed to assist the Dementia Specialist Activities Worker in delivering garden-based activities both outside on our dedicated balcony and, where required, ‘armchair gardening’. An ability to push wheelchairs is essential alongside knowledge of gardening and an ability to engage with individuals with cognitive impairments.
If you are able to commit to any of the above activities please email Volunteers@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk stating your name, contact number and the activity you are interested in and we will send you further information.
On Saturday June 27 the nation will be celebrating Armed Forces Day and the Chelsea Pensioners will be attending numerous events around the country.
Masterpiece London will once again return to the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea this year showcasing works that span over 4,000 years of art history.