Your Privacy is important to us
Your privacy with the Royal Hospital Chelsea
A quick summary of how we use your data and our commitment to protect your privacy
Collecting and using your personal data: the legal basis
Based on Legitimate interest
We may process your personal information based on our legitimate business interests:
‘Legitimate interests’ means the interests of the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group (RHCG) in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best support, products and services to provide you with the best and most effective experience in all your dealing with the RHCG.
When we process your personal information for legitimate interests, we make sure to consider and balance any impact on you (both positive and negative), and your rights under data protection laws. Our legitimate business interests do not override your interests. We will not use your Personal Data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted by law.
Based on Consent
To communicate with you by email, text or telephone we require your consent. You are free to change your mind and withdraw your consent at any time. Please refer to ‘How do I change or stop you contacting me by post, telephone, email or text message’ below.
What information do you collect about me and how do you use it?
As a valued member and supporter of the Royal Hospital Chelsea we collect personal information about you, store your record in our secure database and use it for administration, communication and marketing purposes in the following ways: When you engage with the Royal Hospital Chelsea we may ask for personal information. The types of information we collect includes:
- Your name, postal address, email address and telephone number
- Financial data (such as bank account, credit and debit card details provided by you)
- A record of the financial donations that you have made and data about your tax status for Gift Aid purposes
- Details of your indicated interests, opinions, preferences and the ways you support or have supported us – eg in relation to any campaigns, membership, events or fundraising schemes you have participated in. When you receive a communication we may collect data about how you respond to or interact with that communication and this may affect how we communicate with you in future
- Chelsea Pensioner and prospective Pensioners will be asked to provide ‘Sensitive Personal Data’, please see the full policy for more information
When you provide your personal information to us, please ensure that it is accurate and up to date. This will allow us to contact you effectively and courteously. Please get in touch if you would like to change the personal details that we hold about you by writing to Tara Jay, Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk
WEBSITE: When you use our website we collect data about the services and features you use and how you use them, including how you interact with its content and any advertisements.
When you provide your personal details when filling out a registration, making a donation, communicating with us or signing up for or receiving a service on our website, we will collect this data and store it in your record so as to fulfil your request, answer your enquiries and keep a record of our correspondence with you.
- To allow us to collect statistical and performance data about how the website is used. We may collect geolocation data about your geographic location, the mobile device that is used and to confirm what browser you are using, and computer operating systems that are being used. This data doesn’t contain any identifiable information about people. We use this data to improve the functionality of our website and ensure you have a good experience when browsing it.
- Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pixel cookies are used to collect data about which sections of the website are accessed by people who are registered users of these social media services. These service providers collect this data, which then allows the Royal Hospital Chelsea to reach new audiences. The Royal Hospital Chelsea only has access to aggregated data from these companies, not identifiable personal information.
SOCIAL MEDIA: When you view information published by the Royal Hospital Chelsea using social media hosted across various platforms, we will collect and receive information that provides aggregate data relating to items such as video views, demographics and location data. Identifiable personal information about people who access these platforms is collected in order to allow the Royal Hospital Chelsea to reach and market new audiences.
Why do you collect personal information from me?
We collect and use personal information where this is necessary in our legitimate interest as a business and charity, this includes being able to:
- Manage our members subscriptions and activities and to administer our supporter database and systems
- Where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services and communications for the benefit of our supporters and customers
- Send information and marketing material which we think will be of interest to our members and supporters by post
- To determine the effectiveness of promotional campaigns and advertising
- To carry out research to better understand who our members and supporters are and how they interact with us so we are better able to respond to their needs
- Monitor who we deal with to protect our charity against fraud, money laundering and other risks;
Whenever we process data for these purposes we will ensure we always keep your personal data rights in high regard and take account of these rights. You have the right to object to this processing if you wish, and if you wish to do so please write to Tara Jay, Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk. Please bear in mind that if you object this may affect our ability to carry out tasks above to your benefit. When we collect and use your personal information, we will make sure this is only done in accordance with Data Protection law.
In all cases, we balance our legitimate interests against your rights as an individual and make sure we only use personal information in a way or for a purpose that you would reasonably expect in accordance with this Policy and that does not intrude on your privacy or previously expressed marketing preferences.
How do you protect my personal information?
We take all appropriate measures to ensure that the information disclosed to us is kept secure, accurate and up to date and kept only for so long as is necessary.
Can I have access the information you hold about me?
You have the right to request access to the information we hold about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Data Protection Act. You can request a ‘Data Subject Access Request’ form by writing to Tara Jay, Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk. and we will respond within 30 days of receiving your request form.
If I think the information you hold about me is incorrect, how do I get you to change it?
If your personal details change, please help us to keep your information up to date by writing to Tara Jay, Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk.
How do I change or stop you contacting me by post, telephone, email or text message?
It is always your choice as to whether you want to receive information from the Royal Hospital Chelsea about your membership, our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways or if you want to change any of your contact preferences at any time, please write to Tara Jay, Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk. Please bear in mind that if you change your preferences it may affect our ability to carry out tasks to your benefit. When we collect and use your personal information, we will make sure this is only done in accordance with Data Protection law.
If you no longer wish to receive email or text communications, please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the communication you receive.
What personal information do you hold about me if I become a Chelsea Pensioner?
On becoming a Chelsea Pensioner you will require to complete and sign an IP agreement which fully explains both the sensitive and non-sensitive personal information we require, in order to provide you with the best possible support and care.
What personal information do you hold about me if I am an employee of the Hospital?
When you start employment with the Royal Hospital Chelsea we will require your written consent for us holding only the personal information required for us to manage your employment and contract.
How can you contact us?