Pensioners help celebrate the Chelsea bun

7th May 2019

Bunhouse Place
When Chelsea Pensioner Ernie Boyden noticed a small street called Bunhouse Place, behind the Pimlico Road, he decided to investigate.

Ernie Boyden
He discovered that the Chelsea Bun House – which popularised this delicious confection – was on a site now occupied by Linley’s furniture shop on the Pimlico Road, where the ovens can still be found in the basement.

The Bun House opened in the early 18th century and closed in 1839. It was celebrated in literature and rhyme and patronised by royalty. In its heyday, the Bun House was enormously popular, selling tens of thousands of buns on the final Good Friday before it closed!

Marjorie helps judge bake-off winners

Although the Bun House is no more, the famous spiced and fruity Chelsea Bun is still popular.

On 4 May, local food shop Partridges celebrated 'World Chelsea Bun Day' by hosting a Chelsea Bun bake-off. There were five categories, from junior bakers, to have-a-go grown-ups and judges included Michelin starred chef Phil Howard and our very own Marjorie Cole.

After much deliberation, the winners were announced (see below). Prizes included tickets to the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and a children’s crepe and waffle-making class.

Chelsea Bun Bake-Off Winners

Royal Hospital Chelsea Newsletter

Stay up to date with what's going on at The Royal Hospital by signing up for our e‑newsletter.

News

View the archive

HRH, The Prince Philip - Duke of Edinburgh Painting
Chelsea Pensioners share recollections of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

The Royal Hospital Chelsea community continues to send our thoughts and condolences to the Royal Family at this difficult time. Many of our Chelsea Pensioners were fortunate enough to meet HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at the Royal Hospital’s Founder’s Day celebrations or through his other official duties.

Infirmary Bombing
Remembering the Soane Infirmary bombing

Today marks 80 years following the bombing of the Royal Hospital’s Infirmary during the Second World War. The magnificent Infirmary, which once stood on the current site of the National Army Museum, was hit by a parachute bomb on 16 April 1941 – destroying most of the building and tragically ending the lives of 13 people.

Twitter

Follow @RHChelsea