The Royal Hospital was founded by King Charles II in 1682 'as a place of refuge and shelter for such Land Soldiers as are or shall be old, lame or infirm in the service of the Crown'.
Sir Christopher Wren was entrusted with the design of the building and it was ten years later, in the spring of 1692 that the first Chelsea Pensioner took up residence. It provides the same care today and plans to continue to do so.
The principal tasks of the Royal Hospital Chelsea are the care of the Chelsea Pensioners and the conservation of its historic buildings and grounds.
The Royal Hospital Chelsea is recognised as a Charity by HMRC. The registered charity number for the Royal Hospital Chelsea Appeal Ltd is 1076414.
The Cavendish London are donating £1 for every commemorative Rosa Lewis Afternoon Tea ordered this April.
The refurbishment of the Chelsea Pensioners accommodation is now moving into the final stages with temporary accommodation built on site to house 50 Chelsea Pensioners.