Royal Hospital Chelsea Group
The Board of Commissioners of the Royal Hospital Chelsea ('we', 'us' or 'our') is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Depending on the purpose for which you are providing your personal data to us, through any means listed within the Policy for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the 'Act') and GDPR, the data controller (or entity responsible of the data collected) will be either:
- Royal Hospital Chelsea Appeal Ltd of Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London SW3 4SR and/or
- Chelsea Pensioner (RH) Ltd of Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London SW3 4SR and/or
- Tricorne Traders Ltd of Royal Hospital Road, Chelsea, London SW3 4SR
(together the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group).
Where we (or any member of the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group) collect information from you we will identify the purpose for which the information is to be collected and processed. From time to time we may contact you with other information that is also relevant to that purpose. You will not have to receive any information in this respect if you do not wish and will be able to select and choose such notifications on the forms set out on this Website and/or elsewhere as applicable, or after providing your information. You should follow the instructions on the relevant forms in this respect.
We (or the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group) may collect and process the following data about you:
What information we collect
Information that you provide by completing forms in writing, email, through our web site or social media. This includes information provided at the time of registering with us, to use our Website (where applicable), to become a Chelsea Pensioner, to become a member of staff, to enter into a contract for our services, to support or subscribe to our services (where applicable), to request materials or to request further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by any member of the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group, when you respond to a survey and/or when you report a problem with any of our communication channels or services.
We collect the following classes of information:
- Name(s) and address, email, phone number(s) and other relevant personal details and preferences
- Relevant historic and current Information about each Chelsea Pensioner
- Staff details relevant to their employment status with us
- Use of social media relating to the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group (e.g. following our Twitter feed)
- Records of donations
- Records of volunteering
- Photographs, recordings (audio and video) and associated information lent or given to the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group
- Information about our relationship with you, correspondence, meeting notes, attendance at events etc.
- Occupation, skills and professional activity, network(s) and interests where relevant to our needs
- Financial information where relevant to our needs
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out and of the fulfilment of your orders
- Details of your access to our databases or other materials.
- Providing CVs or other information about yourself for specific purposes such as employment, volunteering or becoming a Chelsea Pensioner. For further details please contact Health and Wellbeing Department regarding becoming a Chelsea Pensioner and the HR Department for employment and volunteering.
- To help us improve our services, if you send us personal information which identifies you via email, we may keep your email, your email address and 'screen' name. We may also collect information that is available from your browser.
- Details of your visits to our Website including; but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access. We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to either the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group or our advertisers/partners. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- estimate our audience size and usage pattern
- store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our Website according to your individual interests
- speed up your searches
- recognise you when you return to our website
Sensitive Personal Data
Generally we do not seek to collect 'sensitive personal data' - that is, data relating to:
- race or ethnic origin
- political opinion
- trade union membership
- Medical Records
- physical or mental health
- sexual orientation
- criminal records.
If you are interested in becoming a Chelsea Pensioner we will as part of the process seek to collect some 'sensitive personal data' as detailed above, and as a Chelsea Pensioner such data will routinely be collected as part of the service delivery process.
What we do with your data
The core activities we carry out with your data enable us to:
- process applications to become Chelsea Pensioner
- deliver services to our Chelsea Pensioner population
- send information to you about the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group,
- provide tickets for events requiring them,
- administer donations,
- administer friends and membership scheme(s),
- administer volunteering opportunities and programmes,
- build financial and volunteer support for the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group through various fundraising and marketing activities,
- operate the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group shop, and
- promote the aims and objectives of the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group through any other activities not specifically mentioned.
- process and manage recruitment and employment at the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group
Access to the information we hold
Under the Act and GDPR, you may ask for a copy of the information we hold about you and you may request changes be made to this information if it is inaccurate or not up-to-date. Please write to Tara Jay, The Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk in these circumstances. If you want to change the details that you have registered online with us, follow the instructions for each individual application.
Although we do not currently do this, we may in future use your data to group together people who have behaved, or might behave in similar ways. For example, we might find that people who had been to certain functions, events or activities. If this was the case then we might “tag” your record to remind us to include you in invitations to similar functions, events or activities or to assess the likelihood that you might come to another type of functions, events or activities. We might carry out similar processes to help us organise our fundraising.
You have a specific right to ask us not to do this. If you would prefer us not to, then please contact us using any of the contact details below.
Where / how we store your data
Once we have received your information by whatever means, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access and we require our suppliers to do the same.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk.
Use of your data
Your data may be shared with third parties to deliver services and products that you have engaged and or agreed to with the Royal Hospital Chelsea Group.
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to provide accommodation and care for Chelsea Pensioners
- to meet our employer obligations
- to ensure that our data is presented in the most effective manner for you
- to provide you with information, products or services that you expressly request from us or which we feel may interest you
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
- to notify you about changes to our service and products
- to carry out any obligations or provide you with any other services, functionality or content which you specifically agree
If we or permitted third parties require to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties you can request your data not to be used in this way by writing to Tara Jay, The Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk.
Any information provided will only be used for the purpose stated or based on our legal requirements or legitimate business interests.
Disclosure of your data
We may disclose your personal information to third parties without obtaining further consent from you:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets
- in the event that we outsource any of our business functions under which we collect or store your data in which case we will ensure that any such service provider adheres to at least the same obligations of security with regard to your data as undertaken by us
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and other agreements; or to protect our rights, property, or safety of our employees, our Chelsea Pensioners, customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
You have the right for us not to process your personal data for information and marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we wish to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes and request your consent to these activities. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by writing to Tara Jay, The Data Protection Officer (DPO), The Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London, SW3 4SR or email DPO@chelsea-pensioners.org.uk
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
You may change or stop the way in which we communicate with you or process data about you, and if it is not required for the purpose you provided it, then we will do so. Activities like processing Gift Aid donations may mean we cannot entirely stop processing your data. We will always endeavour to comply with such a request, however.
If you are not satisfied with the way we have processed your data then you can complain to the Office of the Information Commissioner.
Retention of data
The RHC will keep some forms of information for longer than others. Information should not be kept indefinitely, unless there are specific requirements. In line with principle 5 of the data protection act information should not be kept longer than is necessary.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, about the way in which we process your data, or if you wish to change the way we use your data, including how we communicate with you, and then please contact us:
Tara Jay, The Data Protection Officer (DPO) Royal Hospital Chelsea, Royal Hospital Road, London SW3 4SR
or email email@example.com