The Social Care team, provides the advice and support which enables Pensioners to live independently, free from unnecessary stress and worry.
Our social care support
Social care support for our Pensioners includes:
- providing practical assistance with changing or making appointments, arranging transport and escorting those going to outside hospitals, opticians, dentists or clinics.
- supporting Pensioners to manage their finances, make purchases, register their Power of Attorney, or make arrangements for travel and holidays (with the necessary assistance and insurance).
- helping Pensioners to replace lost bank cards and freedom passes, renew passports, and make applications for disability-related support such as taxi cards and blue badges.
- issuing wearable pendants for Pensioners who would benefit from alerting a staff member in the event of a fall.
- addressing individual needs and requests via the daily drop-in service and providing phone or email support, as required.
- as well as providing transport to external appointments, the minibus and driver also take Pensioners on shopping and activity trips and a weekly visit to the cinema.
Assessing and supporting Pensioners
Introducing an electronic record system has allowed us to improve the way we plan the assessment and support of Pensioners living independently. It has helped ensure that it reflects the strengths, goals and support required across a range of different areas for each individual.
All new Pensioners now have an assessment and support plan in place, within three months of arrival. As we move forward, a ‘case finding’ approach will allow the Social Care team to reach out to Pensioners living within the Long Wards who have identified needs. Offering them personalised support, in collaboration with other teams at the Royal Hospital, willhelp to ensure that they are able to live independently for as long as possible.